Like what you see?

Thanks for stopping by! Don't forget to follow me along as I stumble through traveling and baking adventures. Sign up to receive The Traveling Cupcake via email or RSS feed - the links are on the right! Also, make sure to check out the mini traveling cupcake for all of my baby updates. Hope to see you again soon!

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Copenhagen recap - Day 1

I better get my butt in gear and recap our Copenhagen trip for you - we are off to Norway in a few days and I don't want to wait a couple more weeks to show you pictures!

We arrived in Copenhagen in Thursday morning. After getting settled in our hotel we made our way to the Nyhavn Canal - the infamous, picturesque canal in downtown Copenhagen - for lunch. There is a very large pedestrian shopping area that spans almost 3/4 the length of the city, and we had to walk through it to get to lunch. It was really cool seeing all of the Scandinavian stores and fashion (well, I thought it was cool). They are very edgy and fashion forward over there - so jealous! We had a great lunch by the canal and then we had to split up - Brian had work to do (the original reason we went on the trip!) and I had some major site seeing to do!


Our hotel was basically on one edge of town, and most of the sites were in the middle and on the opposite side. This girl walked her butt off. For being a "small" city, I seriously must have walked a million miles. I wanted to see the famous Little Mermaid statue (once a symbol of Copenhagen and major tourist trap) - and of course she was located at the furthest opposite side of the city. Luckily, the weather was AMAZING (read: HOT), so not only did I get to explore a cool city, I got a great tan as well! Be sure to check out the pics, I must have seen every major site in Copenhagen on my first afternoon!


In the evening I took a bus over to Christiania, a separate island and more "alternative" area in Copenhagen. Known for its alternative lifestyle (aka rock and roll punks and laid back attitude towards drugs) it is a very eclectic neighborhood. I basically took 5 steps into that area, looked around and noticed that I stood out like crazy. What, danish punks don't wear J Crew?? I high tailed it out of there stat - at least I checked it off my list! There is another area of Christiania that is much more my speed - along the canal! It basically looks like the main canal in Copenhagen, but on a smaller cuter scale. Lots of cute bars and restaurants, and more cool houses.

I went back to the city center for dinner, a glass of wine and to put my feet up. What a great first day!

0 comments:

Post a Comment