Like what you see?

Thanks for stopping by! Don't forget to follow me along as I stumble through traveling and baking adventures. Sign up to receive The Traveling Cupcake via email or RSS feed - the links are on the right! Also, make sure to check out the mini traveling cupcake for all of my baby updates. Hope to see you again soon!

Sunday, July 03, 2011

Weekend Recap

It's been a busy weekend here in London - half of which included getting out of London! Yesterday we took a little road trip (and by little I mean a three hour car ride) to Durdle Door and Lulworth Cove. I'm going to tell you aaaalllll about our trip soon (it involved a seven mile hike, picnic fried chicken and a mexican chip butty) but here's a sneak peak - 


There has been a flurry of summer recipes on twitter this past week that have caught my eye. The weather is still pretending to be summery so I took full advantage of an empty house this afternoon and spent a few hours cooking up a storm.  

Strawberries + vodka = perfect summery drink! This time next week I'll be sipping on a cool cocktail made with some of this lovely pink stuff (and it's so easy you won't believe it)


A refreshing non-alcoholic option for these hot, humid days (I'm still waiting for some of those, but I'll drink this anyway - try adding some sparkling water for a little fizz).

This went PERFECT with our grilled BBQ chicken tonight. Anything with tomatoes, baby mozzarella and basil is a winner in my book. The basil olive oil in the recipe is amazing, and it's so easy to make - I can tell it's going to be a big hit in this house all through the summer!

Rosemary simple syrup (L) and Basil Olive Oil (R)
I also spent an enormous amount of time trying to make these lovely red velvet cupcakes by Pinch my Salt. I think there is a curse on me that prohibits me from being able to make red velvet cupcakes, because these did not turn out at all.  The recipe is totally fine, I was just being a complete spaz by the time it came to make these. The batter came together nicely and then I was too busy dancing around my kitchen to notice that I filled the cupcake liners all the way to the top, so when they were baking in the oven they totally spilled out of the liner and all over the top of the pan. Then I decided to make cake pops out of them and that was such an epic fail I won't divulge in the details for fear of making you close your browser in disgust. The last time I tried to make red velvet cupcakes was a couple of years ago for Valentine's Day. Lets just say that I used two bags of powdered sugar and all I could get the frosting to do was curdle.  So, it looks like it will be another couple of years before I try making these again!

I hope you all have a wonderful July 4th holiday if you celebrate that kind of thing. July 4th actually might be one of my favorite holidays, and one that I miss the most living in London - BBQs, fireworks, hot summer weather, small towns dressed up in red, white and blue, cold drinks, spending time with friends and family - yeah, that sounds like a pretty good holiday to me! 

How are you celebrating this holiday weekend?  Drop me a line in the comments section or send me a note on twitter (@trvlngcupcake) - I love hearing what my readers are up to! Have a happy and safe fourth of July!

1 comment:

  1. I wish I was there to try some of the delicious strawberry vodka drink, looks delicious!
    As for me, a little rock climbing, a little road cycling and a whole lot of sugar intake rounds up this holiday weekend for me :)
    ~ MSS

    ReplyDelete