Like what you see?

Thanks for stopping by! Don't forget to follow me along as I stumble through traveling and baking adventures. Sign up to receive The Traveling Cupcake via email or RSS feed - the links are on the right! Also, make sure to check out the mini traveling cupcake for all of my baby updates. Hope to see you again soon!

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Salted Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches

(I know thats a mouth full, my apologies. I promise it'll be worth it!)

Things I like:

Reading books (paper and electronic - the kindle's where its at!) - it's good to put.the.computer.down. sometimes

Dance parties in my living room

Coffee - hot, cold you name it I drink it

Laughing so hard your stomach hurts

Traveling the world...and finding hidden spots in my neighborhood

Keeping up with the Kardashians (there's a lot of them, this hobby takes time!)

Cookies

Ice Cream

Oh yes...you see where this is going.



The first time I think I ever had homemade ice cream sandwiches was when I was a senior in college. I lived in a house of eight girls (which was equally the best/worst thing ever) and instead of a birthday cake they made me ice cream sandwiches to celebrate the big 2-2. If my memory serves me correctly, they were chocolate chip cookies with mint chocolate chip ice cream. Apologies, girls, if that wasn't the correct flavor combo - Mr Carlo Rossi took my memory that night.

(Seriously, did I seriously used to drink wine that came from a jug?! Hells yeah I did)



What I do clearly remember from that night though was the awesome combination of soft, dense cookies and smooth, creamy ice cream. It was unlike any other ice cream sandwich I had ever had. Sure, I love me a good Chipwich sometimes and I even like those flat, chocolate ice cream sandwiches with creamy vanilla ice cream. But something about them just seems a little...wrong. Like, they have been frozen TOO long. Lord knows how long they sit in the dark back corners of my freezer and before that how many weeks did it take to get from the assembly plant to the store to the freezer? Yikes!

But these...these I can get on board with.

Fresh chocolate chip cookies together with creamy vanilla ice cream. You control the freshness (but believe me, these probably won't last until the end of the night!)

Oh my...



Salted Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
I used a recipe for Salted Butter Chocolate Chip cookies because I love the extra layer of flavor that the salt adds. Feel free to use your favorite chocolate chip recipe though! The important thing here is to make sure that the cookies are cooked properly - not too gooey and not too crispy. Juuuusst right.

Salted Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
Adapted from the always genius David Lebovitz. And added bonus of using his recipes (for me) is that he gives quantities in grams - meaning less calculations for me!)

4 oz (115g) salted butter, room temperature
2/3 (115g) cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup (100g) sugar
1 large egg, room temperature
1/2 tsp vanilla extract (go on, use the good stuff!)
1 1/3 cup (180g) flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 - 3/4 tsp flaky sea salt
1 - 2 cups chopped chocolate (dark or milk or a mixture is fine, I used dark because I have an on-going love affair with dark chocolate)
1 cup toasted nuts, chopped (optional, if using nuts reduce chocolate to 1 cup)

- Preheat your oven to 350*F (180*C) and line you cookie sheets with parchment paper.

- In a medium size bowl beat together the butter, brown sugar and sugar until smooth and creamy. Beat in the egg and the vanilla.

- In a separate small bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt.

- Mix in the dry ingredients to the beaten butter until just combined. Stir in chopped chocolate and nuts (if using).

- Place rounded tablespoons of batter evenly spaced on the baking sheets, lightly pressing on the tops to slightly flatten them. Bake the cookies for 12-15 minutes, rotating them half way through baking to ensure even cooking.

- Makes 18 large cookies or 24 medium cookies.

To assemble ice cream sandwiches

- Let the cookies cool until set. Ten minutes before you are ready to assemble remove your ice cream from the freezer to soften. I originally wanted to use really good quality vanilla bean ice cream with these cookies. I ended up using Clotted Cream ice cream because thats all the store had. Pretty much any flavor ice cream will due - pick your favorite!

- Working one at a time, use a large flat spoon to scoop the ice cream out of the tub and flatten on to the bottom side of a cookie. Place another cookie on top and press together to form a sandwich. Repeat until all cookies are used (or you eat the remaining cookies). Place the sandwiches in a resealable container (tupperware will do) and place in your freezer to set for a couple of hours.

- Remove from freezer when you are ready to indulge. Enjoy!

You might also like...

1 comment: