Like what you see?

Thanks for stopping by! Don't forget to follow me along as I stumble through traveling and baking adventures. Sign up to receive The Traveling Cupcake via email or RSS feed - the links are on the right! Also, make sure to check out the mini traveling cupcake for all of my baby updates. Hope to see you again soon!

Friday, April 24, 2009

Failure

I think my dream of being a fabulous baker is in the toilet.

The last few times I have tried to make the fantastic, humongous choco-liscious cookies I was once famous for (ok, at least famous amongst my friends for...) - I have fell flat on my face. Actually, my cookies have fallen flat. And crispy. And burnt.

At first, I thought it was my oven (its always the ovens fault, never mine!). Its a mini oven, so surely the internal temperature must be off. I bought an internal oven thermometer to get it to a perfect 375* F. Wrong. Still didn't help.

Then I thought it was the measurements. Baking is a science. Unlike cooking where you can throw in a little of this and a little of that, you cant do that when baking otherwise it can throw the whole thing off. Maybe I had gotten a little too cocky, so I went back to measuring every ingredient exactly...including buying a food scale so that I can properly measure the butter (damn brits and their metric system!).

Wrong. Again. Still flat, still crunchy...and yet completely unbaked in the middle.

Boo. Next time I'm in the US I'm definitely bringing back some Crisco butter sticks. If I fail using those I know that it is not my destiny to be a baker. Cross your fingers...

1 comment:

  1. You know you can do it, I believe in you :) Just blame it on something else (the oven...or Brian) like I always do!!!

    xo,
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete