Like what you see?

Thanks for stopping by! Don't forget to follow me along as I stumble through traveling and baking adventures. Sign up to receive The Traveling Cupcake via email or RSS feed - the links are on the right! Also, make sure to check out the mini traveling cupcake for all of my baby updates. Hope to see you again soon!

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Valentines Day - a little late

Happy (belated) Valentines Day!

I know, I know - Im way late in sending this message. I had every intention of posting this on the relevant day, but of course I forgot. Oops. I hope you all enjoyed your Valentines Day, no matter how you celebrated it! I absolutely love Valentines Day - candy, chocolates, wine, flowers, pink and hearts every where - you name it I love it! For me its not about spending a huge amount of money, its just enjoying your day with the people you love and showing them how much you love them!

Brian and I celebrated by cooking a big steak dinner (he cooked, not me) - it was soo yummy! If you can see in the picture what looks like a bowl of mashed potatoes - thats actually Brians baked potato, cut up to fit inside the bowl. Im pretty sure his potato alone weighed in at at least a kilo. Good times. After dinner we had a reservation at a wine tasting venue called Vinopolis. Its on the south bank of the city, and is a huge establishment consisting of a wine tasting venue, rum\whiskey\absinthe\beer\gin tasting facility, a brewery restaurant, a wine restaurant and a bar. Its quite a place! My aunt and uncle got Brian and I a gift certificate for a wine tour, so we decided to use it on Valentines day! Well, so did a lot of other people! It was a little crowded, but all in all we had a great time! We tasted some good (and not so good!) wines, and had a great time exploring the place. Thanks Uncle Mike and Aunt LaRae!

I made Red Velvet cupcakes for Brian as a surprise...I have to say they came out quite good! As usual I had a few complications while baking them - for one I couldnt find cocoa powder in ANY of the supermarkets in our neighborhood. Apparently brits dont use cocoa powder for anything. And then when making the cream cheese frosting something went terribly wrong. In my first attempt the frosting turned to liquid (what??), the second attempt it turned into whipped cream (seriously??) and then FINALLY my third attempt produced something closer to traditional frosting. I started out with a 2 KG box of confectioners sugar, and now have about 1/4 of it left....in the end though, they were a success!

What did you do for Valentines Day?

0 comments:

Post a Comment